The EU Commission is launching the year by presenting 9 new places to the European Heritage Label List. The sites symbolize European ideals, values, history and integration. All sites have been recommended by the Independent Panel for Inclusion in the European Heritage List.
The 9 places are:
- Leipzig’s Musical Heritage Sites (Germany)
- Dohány Street Synagogue Complex (Hungary)
- Fort Cadine (Italy); Javorca Church (Slovenia)
- Former Natzweiler concentration camp and its satellite camps (France & Germany)
- Sighet Memorial (Romania)
- Bois du Cazier (Belgium)
- Village of Schengen (Luxembourg)
- Maastricht Treaty (Netherlands)
This means that we now have 38 cities that have received the award as a European cultural heritage. Want to know more about the selection, approach or how the panel works, you can read more here!